The scholarship application is closed.
Steps to Completing a Scholarship
To avoid system messages from going to a SPAM folder, please approve messages from “email@example.com” and from “firstname.lastname@example.org”. The system has many electronic documents and messages that will be undelivered if messages are going to the SPAM folder (e.g. confirmation letter, reminders, Know Before You Go information, etc).
Read all information before starting the Scholarship Application including:
Deadline to submit Scholarship Applications: March 30, 2018 @ 5:00pm PST
For questions, please email email@example.com
Please note, if you wait too long to answer a question on your application it can and will time out and your information will be lost, it cannot be recovered. We recommend you prepare a separate word document for completing the application and then copy and paste in to the application form.
Once you have submitted your application, the answers are final.
To be eligible for scholarship and participation, teams must:
- Have an identified Team Adult Advisor who will lead and assist the youth team at the Spring Youth Forum.
- Be limited to a maximum of up to 6 youth and 2 adult chaperones. The 3:1 ratio of youth to chaperone is required.
- Have completed a prevention project that will be presented to others in May. Projects can be long-term, ongoing projects or newly-developed projects. Presentations should be about specific youth-led projects and not programs in general. Only one project application per youth team is allowed. If your youth team has multiple projects they should select one project to present.
- Plan to prepare an 8-minute presentation to share with other youth prevention groups at the Forum.
- Be able to participate in the entire Spring Youth Forum, including voting throughout the event and attending final presentations. Teams not in attendance for the entire event will be ineligible for awards and prizes through disqualification. See Rules of Participation for more information.
- Submit a completed application by the deadline stated above. Space will be limited.
- Be of the required age. Youth must be 12-18 years of age; chaperones must be at least 19 and at least 3 years older than the youth they are chaperoning.
Additional Information and Policies You MUST Review
You will be required to be familiar with and understand this information as a scholarship recipient.
Application Review Process
The scholarship review process will begin after the deadline. The Team Adult Advisor should complete and submit the scholarship application. All communication will be sent via email to the Team Adult Advisor and email address indicated on the application form. Please be sure the correct email is provided on the application. Reviewers will evaluate and approve applications based on completeness of application, the stated criteria and information provided. The application score accounts for 25 percent of the total score for each team. Teams are not guaranteed scholarships and some partial scholarships may be awarded.
Confirmation of Receipt of Scholarship Application
Once the scholarship application has been submitted, the Team Adult Advisor will receive an email notification from a UNR/COB representative stating that the application has been received. This email will also address any questions regarding the answers on the form, or any missing documents. All missing information or documents must be received by the application deadline in order for the application to be considered complete. If a confirmation email is not received within 48 hours of submitting the application, the Team Adult Advisor is responsible for contacting UNR/COB immediately to follow up on the scholarship submission and to confirm receipt. Should a team submit an application on the due date, it is the Team Adult Advisor’s responsibility to follow up with a phone call to ensure receipt of application. It is important to be sure your team’s application was received, and the Team Adult Advisor is responsible for confirming receipt.
Teams awarded scholarships may receive one or more of the following:
Free registration and acceptance to participate (a value of more than $200 per person and a chance to win the grand prize)
- Free registration for Team Adult Advisor, Chaperone, and Youth.
Lodging (a value of more than $250 each night; regular rate, not block discounted rate)
- The number of hotel rooms and the amount of travel assistance provided to your team will be explained in the Scholarship Award Letter, which will be sent via email to the Team Adult Advisor.
- It will be up to each team to determine how many and who should be in each room (e.g., one chaperone and three youth per room or four youth in one room and two chaperones in the second room.).
- It is the expectation that people will share rooms when appropriate and feasible.
- Teams may need to purchase additional rooms for team members, chaperones and/or adult advisors.
- Should teams wish to purchase additional rooms for team members, a group rate will be available. However, there is no guarantee that the rooms will be near the other team room(s), as the Committee will have already booked lodging for teams awarded scholarships. Please contact UNR/COB for the group rate code at the event email address, if needed.
- Hotel confirmation number(s) and additional hotel information will be provided closer to the event via email to the Team Adult Advisor.
- All lodging rooms for youth and adult members of the team will be reserved at the Great Wolf Lodge.
- Should teams register less than the number of people awarded a scholarship, the number of hotel rooms awarded may be adjusted.
Meals (a value of more than $100 per person)
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Thursday, May 24, 2018.
- All other meals and snacks are the responsibility of the team.
Waterpark Passes (a value of $40 each)
- Waterpark passes can be used starting at 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 23, through Thursday, May 24 until 9:00 p.m. Hotel room check-in starts at 4:00 p.m.; however, teams may arrive beginning at 1:00 p.m. and the hotel will provide waterpark passes and allow teams to swim prior to room check-in.
Once accepted, teams:
- Will receive an award letter via email within a few weeks. The letter will include specific information to registration and items awarded to the team.
- Must register online by the deadline in the letter, following the specific instructions. Please note: Teams not registered by the deadline in the letter may lose their scholarship to other teams on the waiting list.
- Must download all necessary forms, as well as ensure all youth receive and complete them. Youth must receive all necessary parental (or legal guardian) signatures to attend the Forum. Youth will not be allowed to attend without bringing all necessary signed forms to the Forum and submitting them at check in.
- Must download chaperone guidelines and responsibilities and ensure all Team Adult Advisors and Chaperones have read and understand the requirements and obligations.
- Prepare a final presentation. Visit Presentation, for additional information on presentations requirements. If using PowerPoint, video or other electronic means, do not submit your team’s presentation in advance. Bring your final version with you for the day of the presentation.
- Visit Rules of Participation rules and regulations in regards to participating in the Forum.
Awards will be awarded to teams based on completion of application, quality of application and quality of presentation given during the Spring Youth Forum. Teams may win awards in each of the criteria categories and by presentation room. Presentation room winners will compete for the Grand Prize. Please read and follow all instructions carefully to give your team the best opportunity to win!
Each team must present information about their project to other youth teams. Teams will vote on presentations immediately following each team presentation. Please see Presentations for tips, guidelines, and downloads that will assist with presentations.
All teams will be judged on the following criteria, and final scores will be based on:
For information on application criteria, visit the Judging Process & Awards.